Steering Universal Joint
What is a universal joint in a car?
Machter is thrilled to bring our customers the best in universal joint types The universal joint or “U” as U-Joint, is the mechanical device that allows one or more rotating shafts to be linked together, allowing the transmission to be in motion. It also allows for the transmission of power between two points that are not in line with each other.
The most common cause of universal joint failure is the lack of or loss of lubrication. If you are considering buying a used vehicle that is equipped with a drive shaft (front and/or rear) with universal joints, have a mechanic inspect the drive shaft for damage, and inspect the U-joints, including front end universal joints present on four-wheel-drive vehicles, for looseness, noises, broken grease seals, and damage.
Here are some symptoms of a bad or failing universal joint you may notice, in approximate order of severity:
- Squeaking noise when starting to move (forward or reverse)
- “Clunk” with a ringing sound when shifting from drive to reverse
- Vibration felt throughout the vehicle while moving forward at speed
- Transmission fluid leaks from the rear of the transmission
- The vehicle cannot move under its own power universal joint system.
Why shop at Machter?
- Automotive part specialist
- Manufacturer and importer aftermarket car parts
- Wide range of aftermarket car parts
- Distributed worldwide
- Specialist expertise and support
Machter Auto is your trusted and reliable auto part supplier. We provide quality aftermarket Universal Joint parts at unbeatable prices we also offer ball joints & tail shaft bearings. For any questions or queries for anything auto-related, please get in touch with us today.