Are LED Headlight Upgrade Kits Legal In Australia?
Date Posted: 21 February 2023
Are you thinking of adding a headlight upgrade kit to your cart but you aren’t sure it’ll be worth it? Or will it even be legal? Don’t worry, we’ve got all the information you need to make that purchase and be sure you’ll love it.
Is It Worth Upgrading to LED Headlights?
If you’re in any auto circles, chances are you would have heard someone talking about their LED headlights. While you might think it’s all talk, there are actually lots of awesome reasons to get a headlight conversion kit and swap yours to LED too.
- Improved visibility: Compared to traditional halogen lights, LED lights are brighter and emit a more intense beam. This goes a long way to improving your visibility and safety on the road.
- Longer lifespan: Just like it’s a great idea to switch to LED bulbs at home, LED headlights have a longer lifespan compared to halogen ones. So, you'll spend less time and money replacing them in the long run.
- Energy efficiency: If you’re a savvy consumer, you might have switched your home lights to LEDs to help on your power bill. Well, the same benefits apply to your LED headlights. LED headlights consume less power and generate less heat than halogen lights. As a result, you may improve your car’s fuel efficiency and reduce the load on its electrical system.
- Enhanced aesthetics: LED lights have a modern, sleek appearance that can improve the look of your vehicle.
Setting Yourself Up for Success With the Right Headlight Upgrade Kit
While it’s fair to ask if headlight conversion kits are any good, the onus is on you to choose an upgrade kit that will suit your car. Therefore, there are a few things to think about.
Choose a Kit That’s Legal in Your State or Territory
While different states and territories may have specific restrictions around vehicle headlights, there is a general standard across the country. Essentially, headlight upgrade kits that improve the brightness and visibility of your vehicle's lights, while complying with relevant Australian Design Rules (ADRs), are completely legal. However, if the kit does not meet the ADRs, you may set yourself up for a fine or worse.
Watch out for kits that:
- Change the colour of the headlight beams from white to any other colour.
- Emit excessively bright or intense beams that could cause glare or discomfort to other road users.
- Modify the headlight beam pattern in a way that does not meet the ADRs for headlight aim and distribution.
If you can’t be sure it doesn’t meet the above requirements, it’s better not to purchase the kit. It can help to only shop at reputable Australian suppliers and even have a chat with their team to confirm the kit is acceptable for use on Australian roads.
Balance Quality With Your Budget
While we all love a bargain, you can still get ripped off with a cheap price. So, as you shop around for a good deal, be sure to keep an eye out for red flags, like little to no product information, no warranties and prices that are too good to be true. As we mentioned earlier, it’s better to stick with a reputable Australian supplier who you can get in touch with to ask any questions you may have.
Know What You Need in a Headlight Upgrade Kit
Few, if any, car parts are universal. As a result, you’ll need to have some key information about your car to ensure that your new headlights fit. An easy way to do this is to confirm your car’s make and model. From there, you can search for options designed specifically for it.
Installing Your Kit & Hitting the Road
Once you’ve got your headlight upgrade kit in your hand, it’s time to make the switch. Now, how you do this will depend on your car’s make and model, as well as the kit you’re using. Similarly, it’s best to have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge and experience under your belt when dealing with such a critical component of your car. Therefore, we recommend getting an expert to install it for you.
However, if you’re curious about what process they’ll follow, it’ll likely include variations of the following steps:
- Disconnecting the battery to prevent electrical hazards.
- Removing the old headlight by loosening the bolts holding it in place.
- Connecting the wiring harness to the new LED headlight, and attaching any necessary brackets or mounting hardware.
- Installing the new headlight into position with the appropriate bolts.
- Connecting the wiring harness to your car’s electrical system as per the instructions.
- Testing the lights to ensure everything is working as it should.
Shine a Light on Quality Car Parts
Whether you’re looking at new VE headlights or upgrading your Toyota Hilux’s beams, we’ve got you covered at Machter. Pick up your replacement and LED headlights from our online store today.